Version 2.12 – Video Download Feature is Gone

Home Forums Minitube Forums Troubleshooting Version 2.12 – Video Download Feature is Gone

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tony

Flavio,
    Did you intentionally remove the Video Download Feature in Version 2.1.2?

The “download arrow” is gone following udate via Ubuntu Update Manager.

Prior version (2.1) downloaded fine.

(Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Andi

Dear Flavio,

It was the same for me after I bought a license and installed the newest version on my Mac (OS X 10.8.4). I bought the license just because of the download feature, so I hope you didn’t remove it with the update.

Thanks, Andi

Stuart

is a great application I used it daily but no downloads ….
    the same as a browser … observes the balance ….. in ubuntu was the most attractive download helper for firefox
    i wait a new update …..

Paul

Dear Flavio:

…Oh no, no more download button? O_o
    I used to download lecture videos to watch whilst on the train or lunch where I have no internet access, this was the no.1 feature for me, please re-enable this feature…..

Shiba

Same here. What happened to download?

Andi

Dear Flavio,

Are you actually reading this? This thread has been alive for over two weeks now, but no reply yet. It would be great to hear from you whether the missing download button is a bug or intended.

Regards, Andi

Flavio
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

I received an email from the YouTube Legal Team asking me to remove the download functionality from Minitube. The sheer coolness of Minitube must have attracted their attention among the countless YouTube downloaders on the interwebs. Even lawyers can recognize a well-built application. A case of selective enforcement? Who knows, maybe they’re really sending out a gazillion emails. But I somehow doubt it.

Anyway, Minitube never focused on downloading videos. It was just a useful plus. The Mac App Store version never had downloads in the first place. Those that download videos will have to resort to one of the above said countless alternatives. It will just be less stylish and practical.

Galvatron

Interesting. They see no problem with MT not displaying their adds?

Vincent

Sad. Even if I understand why they asked and why you removed it, this function was cool.
    I still use v2.0 instead v2.12 when it’s possible except when I encounter somes compatibilites problems with v2.0. So I can save vids.

Vincent

iberlynx

Flavio, can you please provide a separate branch of the linux code without the download restrictions? I mean, google can’t stop you from supplying the code, only from selling it, or distributing the binaries at the most. And the fact is, that it is one of the most useful features.

shawn

If anyone could tell me how to get the sources for the very last version including this feature I would be forevery grateful.

hal9000

Hi Flavio,

what a pity! Sorry, but downloading videos was not only a useful plus, for me it was the existential usage.

paolo

peccato!!
    minitube senza la funzionalità del download perde molto!
    Ma ci sarà un modo per risolvere il problema?
    paolo

Mark

Oh no..,It’s a catastrophy! I agree with hal9000 – 95pct of my Minitube use is for easy downloading. It’s just too cool to select a series of tutorials and download the lot for later watching. Something has to be done.

Cheers anyway Flavio, this app has been on my panel launcher (there’s only 6 items) for abt 2 yrs now and it’s been fantastic. I’ll keep it there anyway :)

What’s everybody else going to use for downloading? It’s got to be as simple as search/enter/download and not a browser add-on. I’m on Linux (Manjaro).

Mark

calinb

Without download, Minitube has no value for me. Only downloaded videos play reliably on my computer/Internet connection.

Matthias

2.1 is the final Minitube Version for me now

Shawn

Hmm, You know something that i think every application like this should have is the ability to add plugins.
    Sometimes people come up with really great code expanding the functionality of the core software.
    This of course helps the core developer focus on base functionality and stability.
    The plugin developers are also less likely to have to deal with the hidden agendas to ulterior motives of large organizations with tons of money to strong arm the very programmers that drive the innovation of the internet.

Its just something that dawned on me…sometimes this stuff shoots out of the sky right into my head..maybe its somebody trying to kill me and they just keep near missing?

Elton

The Video Download feature is gone in Minitube 2.4.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Version 2.12 – Video Download Feature is Gone’ is closed to new replies.