This Minitube built with no Google API key

Home Forums Minitube Forums Troubleshooting This Minitube built with no Google API key

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Flavio 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Stu Keroff

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit and have attempted to install Minitube 2.6 at least 3 times and each time I get the message that “This Minitube package was built with a Google API key.” As a result, no videos will play. Can this be fixed. I do not know how to add a Google API key and I don’t know why I should have to, as I have never encountered this message before with this app. Please help.

#95735 Reply

RK

Same problem here. Installed it today on Arch Linux through Arch’s package manager. I then managed to make an API key (I think I did it correctly) and set the GOOGLE_API_KEY environment variable, but still nothing works in minitube. E.g. searching produces no results.

#95859 Reply

YouTube

The same problem “This Minitube package was built without a Google API key.”
    Version 2.6
    Ubuntu Mate

#95869 Reply

Flavio
    Keymaster

This is not a “problem” but a choice of your distribution. They decided to include Minitube in their archives without including the necessary API key. The dialog box clearly tell you what you can do: get your own API key or get Minitube from this website.

#96266 Reply

Scott

FYI, just in case you decide you might actually want people to use this app! I’m running Mint, so I expect the repository to be behind. As such, I went straight to the website and downloaded the package! Guess what! It still throws the error! I also tried it on Fedora. Still no love! Same problem! So at the end of the day, it’s not the distro!

#96342 Reply

Flavio
    Keymaster

Scott, your sarcasm sucks. And you know why it still throws the error? Because the GNOME software app is borked and won’t install third-party debs that are already present in the repositories. So you’re still using the outdated, non-functional package that ships with your distro. So yes, it’s the distro.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: This Minitube built with no Google API key
Your information: